Friday, October 9, 2009

Turkey Pizza Burgers



Tonight I was in the mood for pizza, but we had turkey in the fridge so I combined the two. This recipe received a thumbs up from all four of us. My daughter, who has never ever taken more than one bite of any burger, ate HALF of hers. That is the highest honor a recipe can receive.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey ( I used extra lean ground turkey breast)
1/4 cup pizza sauce (you can use store bought or try out this recipe from my friend Cara's blog)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 Tsp Fennel Seed
Mozzarella Cheese shredded

Mix the turkey, pizza sauce, garlic, Italian seasoning, and fennel seed together. Divide the mixture into four patties. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.

I grilled my burgers on my George Foreman grill for eight minutes. You could also pan fry or broil your burgers until they reach 160 degrees.

After burgers are cooked top liberally with shredded mozzarella cheese and let rest for a few minutes.




We constructed our burgers on Orowheat sandwich rounds. They are thin, 100% whole wheat, only 100 calories and very yummy. They sort of have the appearance of a thicker pizza crust. I broiled the buns until they were toasted and then rubbed them with a garlic clove.

We topped the burgers with more pizza sauce, a bit of mayo, and some of our favorite pizza toppings: tomatoes, mushrooms, black olives.

This was a very fast, satisfying, delicious and healthy meal. It gave us so much energy that we went directly to the park afterwards to soak up the last hour of sunshine for today.



1 comment:

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear what you have to say.