Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Morning Glory Muffins


I have had muffin baking on my to do list for over a week now. Tonight I decided to go for it. These morning glory muffins are a great way to start your day. They have fruit, vegetables, fiber, protein, and lots of other good stuff. The best part is that they are healthy AND they taste great!


INGREDIENTS
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated carrots
1 apple - peeled, cored, and chopped
1 cup raisins
1 egg
2 egg whites
3/4 cup apple sauce
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 18 muffin cups, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, apple sauce and vanilla.
In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in carrots, apples and raisins. Stir in apple sauce mixture until just moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full. (The batter is very thick.)
In a small bowl, combine walnuts and wheat germ; sprinkle over the muffin tops.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed.

3 comments:

  1. Great muffins! I usually make one or two batches of some sort of muffin each week. I will have to give yours a try soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, those look and sound sooo good! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I will put them on my "to bake" list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT!!! recipe, I love the idea of the toasted wheat germ. Muffins are something I make often and like to have lots of different recipe to choice from, this one will go on a list of muffin to make soon.

    I have become a follower of your blog, come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same. I love the name of your blog. Yes, home is my paradise also.

    THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear what you have to say.