Monday, October 12, 2009

Smoked Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup


My family in Minnesota has a bunch of snow on the ground - and I'm jealous! I decided to pretend that we were having the same weather here in Portland and made a batch of Smoked Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup to warm me up.


This is a very simple recipe that can be made fairly quickly. The sausage really gives the soup a good flavor.


Ingredients:

4 ounces smoked fully cooked sausage (such as kielbasa or hot links) sliced into rounds. I use the Hilshire Farms Kielbasa.
2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth


3/4 pound small red skinned potatoes, thinly sliced


1 cup dry white wine (may omit and use additional broth instead)


5 cups thinly sliced trimmed kale leaves (about 3/4 of medium bunch)


1/4 Tbsp caraway seeds, lightly crushed


Directions:


Saute sausage slices over medium-high heat until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.


Add chicken broth, sliced potatoes and white wine and bring mixture to a boil.


Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.


Add kale and caraway seeds to soup. Simmer soup uncovered until potatoes and kale are very tender, about 10 minutes longer.


Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.


Note: You can use any kind of greens you have on hand with this recipe. Tonight we used mustard greens, and thought that it was just as good as kale.

2 comments:

  1. I have a kielbasa soup posted on my blog that we love. I may have to make this one to have a bit of variety.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear what you have to say.