Monday, September 21, 2009

Collapsible Clothseline




As a kid one of my regular chores was hanging clothes out on the clothesline. I wasn't very fond of this task and didn't see why we couldn't just put our clothes in the dryer and be done with it. Only now am I learning the wisdom of such exercises.



My most recent attempt at frugality is a collapsible clothesline. I have been wanting to "air my laundry" for a while now, but wasn't sure how to go about it. I have a small yard, so a permanent laundry line wasn't a possibility. I knew I needed something bigger than the small wooden clothes rack that I used for my sweaters. My options seemed to be pretty limited. While browsing online at amazon.com I found exactly what I was looking for: a large size collapsible portable laundry line.



I received my package on Saturday and was excited to try it out. It had come pre-assembled, which for Barrett and I is a really good thing, and set up was extremely easy.



I wanted to see just how much it would hold, so I tested it with a big load of towels. Since this baby is a tripod the trick, especially with heavy laundry like towels, is to make sure that the laundry is evenly balanced on all sides. It held my entire load of towels with room to spare. So far, I'm very impressed.



I paid roughly $35 for my new toy and expect for it to pay for itself very quickly. Your dryer is a huge electricity sucker! Sure, this adds some extra work to my laundry routine as I now have to lug the wet clothes from my laundry room upstairs, through the house, and out to the back yard but I am convinced that the benefits are worth it.



What are the benefits you ask? Here are a few: reduction in electricity usage (which is good for mother earth and my wallet), savings on dryer sheets, extended life of clothing, the extra calories I burn from lugging the laundry around, and that unbeatable clean fresh smell.



An added bonus to my clothesline is that it is small enough to fit in my house so that I can continue to use it even during the winter months.



Leave a message sharing some of your frugal laundry tips. I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment; I'd love to hear what you have to say.